To download Conference Program information in a PDF format CLICK HERE.
2018 FALL CONFERENCE
The New Mexico Jewish Historical Society
“Expressing Jewish Identities: Challenges and Accomplishments”
November 9 – 11, 2018
Sheraton Uptown Hotel
2600 Louisiana Blvd. Ne.
Albuquerque, NM 87110
505 -881 -8000
Join us for our 33rd Annual Conference, as we return to the Albuquerque after a four-year hiatus while traveling throughout the state. This conference will focus how Jews have expressed their unique cultural identity in everything from their film and dance to their everyday lives; the challenges they have they met; how they have met these challenges and accomplished so much.
Optional activities include a pre-Conference Tour of Jewish Downtown Albuquerque (by pre-registration) and services at various Synagogues and Temples. A Silent Auction and Raffle are an ongoing part of the conference.
Information current as of June 21. Subject to revision.
Friday: November 9
5 – 6 pm NMJHS ‘Meet and Greet’
Optional religious services: The following Temples and Synagogues welcome Conference attendees to join in their services:
Congregation Albert (Reform) 3800 Louisiana NE, 87110 505 883-1818
Congregation B’nai Israel (Conservative) 4401 Indian School NE, 87110 505 266-0155
Congregation Nahalat Shalom (Jewish Renewal/Independent) 3606 Rio Grande Blvd. NW 87107 505 343-8227
Saturday: November 10
9:30 am Tour of Jewish Downtown Albuquerque (Optional–pre registration required)
Led by Naomi Sandweiss, author of Jewish Albuquerque 1860-1960
10:30 Conference Registration/Packet Pick Up begins ; Viewing of Silent Auction items
1:00 pm PROGRAM OPENS
- Welcome Remarks: Linda Goff and Betty Harvie
- Keynote Address: Dr. Rebecca Rossen
- Jewish Women and Modern American Dance”
- “Jews Finding Fertile Ground: New Mexico –
- A Landscape of Possibilities” – Harvey Buchalter
- “How Cecil Corner Lost His Accent: Creating a New Identity in the American West” – Dorothy Corner Amsden
- “Syncretism in the Crypto-Judaic Experience: Mexico and the Southwest Territories in Literature” – Marcia Fine
- “Jewish Identity Through the Lens of the Director for Israeli Film”- Marcia Torobin
- No Host Bar and Appetizers; Silent Auction and Raffle
- Israeli dancing with Denis Maltz Grutcki
Sunday November 11 Veterans Day
8:00 am Bagels and Coffee/Tea
9:00 am Program Begins
- “Jews Are No Strangers to the Stranger in Our Midst: Jewish Texts and Immigration” – Rabbi Jack Shlachter
- “Growing Up Cohn in New Mexico / Identity Crisis” – Yvette Cohn Stoor
- “Gaon Web and Jewish Identity in New Mexico” – Dr. Ron Duncan Hart
- “Confessions of a 21st Century Jewish Pioneer: Keeping the Candles Lit in Colfax County” – Sharon Niederman
12:00ish pm Conference Wrap Up and Adjourn- Linda Goff