Board Minutes February 2018
New Mexico Jewish Historical Society
Board of Directors Meeting
February 18, 2018,
The meeting was called to order by President Linda Goff at 2:12 pm.
Present: Evvie Becker, Paula Schwartz, Alan Chodorow, Leba Pierce, Sandra Dietz, Betty Harvie, Stuart Simon, Linda Goff, Cate Dixon, Leona Rubin, guest speaker Vivian Skadron
- Linda congratulated Paula on being chosen to receive the Hurst Award.
Life and Legacy Program
- Invited guest speaker Vivian Skadron spoke to the Board about the Life and Legacy Program and distributed materials about the program.
Minutes of the January 7, 2018 Board meeting were approved as distributed.
- The president’s report had been previously distributed by email. There were no questions.
- Sandy reported that there are currently 316 members. The non-renewal list is now at 79, letters will be send to them. The list of remaining unpaid members will be distributed to board members at the next meeting for personal contact.
- Justin Ferate’s program on Jewish Harlem was very good and very well received. All attendees signed in and applications for membership were passed out.
- The administrator’s report had also been distributed by email and there was no discussion.
Proposed 2018 Budget
- Alan presented the proposed 2018 budget; Stuart moved, Cate seconded, unanimous vote to receive the proposal.
- Alan proposed Stu moved, Paula seconded, unanimous approval of renewing contract with Reality Check, Inc
Legacy Report—submitted by Dianne
- Dianne submitted the Legacy report by email.
2018 Fall Conference Update
- Betty reported that the facility for the Fall Conference is set. The hotel already has night security in place for the parking lot, as well as inside the building. It will be possible to show Paula’s movie on Friday evening. Klezmer music has been suggested for Saturday evening after dinner.
- Linda reported on program planning. They are continuing to reach out for a keynote speaker. The call for proposals remains open.
2017 – 2018 Non-Fall Conference Programs Upcoming
March 10 “Growing Up Jewish in India: An Historical Perspective—Santa Fe
- Federation and Temple Beth Shalom sponsoring.
- Los Alamos Jewish Community – Rabbi Jack Shlachter, Trials of J. Robert Oppenheimer
- Montefiore Program
May 26 -28
- Memorial Day Weekend Trip to Raton & Trinidad
- Annual Mtg. and VSP Speaker, Dr. Jeffrey Mark Paull
- Member donor underwriting under Visiting Scholar Program.
2018 – 2019 Standing Committees Sign Up—Critical Needs
2019 Fall Conference, Chair and/or Co-Chair
Distinguished Service Award for Noel Pugach—Linda on behalf of Dianne
- Linda reported for Dianne who suggested o presenting such an award to Noel for his years of outstanding service to the Society. Executive Committee recommends that the award will be presented in June – moved by Stu, seconded by Leona, unanimous approval.
Betty, Leona, and Stu talked about people at Shalom House who have a lot of material we should have in our collection. Noel interviewed one of the women and that will be up on our website.
Alan talked about the ad hoc committee on organizational histories.
Next Regularly Scheduled Board Meeting in May, date to be determined
The meeting was adjourned at 3:42 pm
Cate Dixon, Recording Secretary