To download Conference Program information in a PDF format CLICK HERE.
New Mexico Jewish Historical Society Fall Conference
November 12-13, 2016
Temple Beth Shalom; New Mexico History Museum Auditorium; The Lodge at Santa Fe Hotel
Friday November 11: Optional
5:00 p.m. Community Dinner at Temple Beth Shalom with keynote Speaker Dr. Fran Levine, Director, Missouri History Museum
Presentation Title: “Celebrating the Sabbath, Five Hundred Years Late” (Reservation and pre-payment required at the time of conference registration)
6:30 p.m. Shabbat Services followed by Oneg, co-sponsored by NMJHS
Saturday November 12
- Services in local synagogues.
- Walking tour of Jewish Santa Fe (pre-registration/payment required)
- Unguided tour of the exhibition, Fractured Faiths: Spanish Judaism, the Inquisition and New World Identities.
12:00 Open lunch
New Mexico History Museum Auditorium
NMJHS President, Dr. Linda Goff
Director of the New Mexico History Museum, Dr. Andrew Wulf
1:30 Keynote Address
Why did the Main Persecution of New Christians for Crypto-Judaism End in Mexico in the Middle of the Seventeenth Century?
Dr. Jonathan Israel, Institute for Advanced Studies, Princeton University
2:45 Refreshment Break
3:00 The Converso Experience in Spain and Mexico
- 3:00 to 3:30 The Converso Experience in Spanish Literary Expression
Estelle E. Quain
- 3:30 to 4:00 Was She or Wasn’t She? Doña Teresa versus the Inquisition
- 4:00 to 4:30 New Mexico Inquisition Legacy of Miguel de Quintana
Isabelle Medina Sandoval
- 4:30 to 5:00 The Twentieth Century Return to Judaism Movement
Ron D. Hart
6:30 Reception & Dinner (The Lodge at Santa Fe Hotel)
7:30 Dr. Fran Levine
Return to Sepharad
Sunday, Nov. 13
The Lodge at Santa Fe Hotel
8:30 a.m. Coffee, Tea and Muffins
9:00 Welcome and Introduction to the Sunday Program
9:15 Converso Return to Jewish Practice
- 9:15 – 9:45 New Mexico Paradise: Making Jewish Home Practice Meaningful Today
Rabbi Jack Shlachter
- 9:45 – 10:15 Converso and the Return to Judaism
- 10:15 to 10:30 – Coffee Break
10:45 Fractured Faith: Identity and Life Today
- 10:45 – 11:15 Judaism, My Identity and Life
Maria Sanchez, Maria Apodaca, Bianca McDermott, and Isabelle Sandoval
- 11:15 – 11:45 What Is the Significance of the Spanish Law of Return Today?
Sara Koplik and Daniel Diaz-Huerta
- 11:45 – 12:15 The 20th Century South-to-North American Historical Narrative of Fray Angelico Chavez & the 21st Century Discovery of New Mexico’s Crypto-Jews.
12:15 Conference Wrap Up
Linda Goff, NMJHS President